Monday, February 22, 2010

Great Expectations...

Expectations....who sets these and why do we always have to live up to them?
As I am writing this, on a major new website (that happens to be my homepage) the headlines read "Canada falling short at these games" with the byline being "not meeting medal expectations". I think this is CRAP! When the Olympic games started, the "expectation" was about getting the first gold medal on home soil (don't get me wrong, this is an amazing feat). I was shocked and appauled that what Jen Heil narrowly missed the gold (only to receive silver) was asked moments later how she felt abot dissappointing Canada???? Who said she disappointed anyone, and who gave that reporter the right to speak for Canada??? This has continued over the last week and a half anytime a canadian athlete doesn't live up to the "expectation" set forth.
I am now beginning to hate this word...Expectation...
Why can't they use the word Hopeful? I think we should use this new found Canadian pride the world is talking about to stand behind our medal "hopefuls", show these "expectation makers" that we are in no way dissappointed in any of our atletes representing Canada!!! UGH! this is actually making me mad!
Our athletes train day in and day out, they compete against the best in the world, only to hear how they are disappointing their country...this is ridicious!!! The only thing I am disappointed in are the people speaking for the rest of us (or at least me)

1 comment:

  1. I with you on this one Kim and actually it was going to be the topic of my blog this evening but it looks like you beat me to it lol.

    They expected that because Canada's medal count has been rising with every Winter Games that we would end up in the lead for medals and therefore win the games at home but the USA is doing really great.

    The way they put the pressure on the athletes that are "hopefuls" is terrible and when they don't win a medal it seems like such a let down that it overshadows what they have done both at the Olympics and to get there in the first place.

    Shame on you Canadian media.

    ReplyDelete